Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekly Meal Prep


I work the regular Monday to Friday hours, but my Husband works away from town for 3 weeks at a time, then spends 3 weeks at home. During the 3 weeks that he's away, I spend life as a fulltime working single mother to our gorgeous 2 year old daughter. Time can sometimes go rather quickly while he's away as life is so busy with just my daughter and I. I had mentioned to a friend of mine last week that I can't remember what it feels like to be "bored" and have absolutely nothing to do. As I type, I have lingering in the back of my mind, the pile of laundry that sits in the laundry room waiting to be washed and the 3 bathrooms that just WILL NOT clean themselves. Yes, I understand, this is LIFE. And I'm not complaining about it AT ALL, however, just giving you a bit of a run down about who I am.

I like control, and Monday-Friday needs to be completely routine and basically scheduled for me, right down to what I will eat and what, and how supper will be cooked.

Saturdays are always grocery shopping day for us. But not until a plan is in place and a list is made. I am NOT a winging it at the grocery store type. I need to know what I will be cooking during the week and what I will be packing in my work bag ahead of time. Again, I like control. I'm not about to however, compromise on quality when I have to prepare a meal in record time. Meaning, I won't buy frozen processed foods to pop in the microwave or oven because as long as we eat, that's all that matters. That's what having a slow cooker is for! Prep the night before, plug it in in the morning and PERFECT! a wholesome home cooked meal when we arrive home! Whoever came up with the slow cooker is an absolute genius!!!!

So, Sundays are my meal prep day. I make a some jars of overnight oats and some homemade granola, divide baby carrots/berries in sealed sandwich bags, along with single serve packs of hummus and shakeology packets. I also make sure that I have enough pureed spinach in ice cube trays in the freezer for smoothies. I was never one to batch cook chicken and the like because I'm kind of nuts in that I usually don't like to eat meal type foods after they are 24 hours old (after cooking). But, again the slow cooker and our grill have really helped us to have great healthy foods in an appropriate time frame.

For myself, during the normal work day, my meal plan is as follows:

Breakfast- Ezekiel wrap with natural peanut butter and a banana
Am Snack-Overnight oats/granola with greek yogurt and berries/oatmeal breakfast muffin with greek yogurt
Lunch-Usually leftovers from the night before, I tend to make enough to have for lunch the next day
Pm Snack-Chocolate Shakeology with water
Supper-Tonight will be clean eating chicken and broccoli with a side of brown rice. Again, I'll make sure that I make enough that I can take the leftovers to work tomorrow.
Snack-I tend to work out at night after my little one goes to bed, so post workout, I have a Pure Protein Chocolate protein shake or I'll have a protein of some sort.

I always aim to drink at least 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water per day!



No comments:

Post a Comment