Friday, March 28, 2014

Ummm, Nutritional Yeast? What the heck is it?

So, nutritional yeast....Exactly WHAT is it and should we be adding it to our diet?

While I dig deep into the online world in search of clean eating recipes, I continuously find recipes that contain "nutritional yeast." Hmmm, why would we put yeast into a dish to make it creamier or more cheesier? I found a recipe recently for clean macaroni and cheese and the instructions stated that one could add more nutritional yeast to get a creamier consistency. Strange to me, as I only think of brewer's yeast.

In my search to find if I should be incorporating this "yeast' into my meal plan, here's what I have found:

1. It's an deactivated form of yeast. Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is usually the strain that it is derived from. It's a commercially sold food product that comes in powder or flake form.

2. It has protein and is chalked full of B vitamins! Plus, it's low in fat and sodium and is gluten free, sugar free and dairy free! Doesn't get too much better than that hey? (ahem, unless it's Shakeology of course :))

3. So, what does it taste like? I'm still unsure at this point, I have yet to buy it. But according to what I've seen and heard in my search for clean eats, it has a strong flavour that has been described as cheesy, nutty and creamy. Vegans and vegetarians use it in place of cheese. It is also a popular popcorn topping.

So, I may have to add this to my meal planning recipes and see what the hype is about. I'll let you know what I think!


2014. Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment