Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Love me some healthy pizza! Umm, but cauliflower??

My 2 year old LOVES pizza! I went from my old lifestyle boxed pizza mix to a clean eating alternative months ago, which is delicious, but I've been looking for something the same, but different. Better, I guess, and better for you.

I'm not a HUGE pizza fan myself to be honest, but my husband and child would definitely eat it at least a few times a week if ever given the choice. But, I'm all about cleaning up old favorites, so I didn't hesitate to give this a try.

I've seen numerous recipes online for cauliflower pizza and researched until I found one that I thought would be easy and tasty. I actually tried making it a couple of months ago and burned the cauliflower while it was cooking in the microwave! Needless to say, never tasted it then.

But tonight, for supper, I DID IT! I successfully made a cauliflower crust pizza! No, it may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it was! And might I add, it was AMAZING! I am definitely NO lover of cauliflower and I could taste any whatsoever. My only complaint was that the crust wasn't near as crispy as I would like. Next time, I will be sure to press some of the excess water from the cauliflower before I mix the ingredients together.

Ingredients:

Nonstick spray
2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toppings of choice
approx. 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp oregano


Directions

1 Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (I will omit this next time and just put it on a sprayed pizza pan), and preheat oven to 425ºF.
2 Grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for five minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
3 Mix in the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.

4 Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella, and desired toppings. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes.

Sauce:

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon italian herb spice
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

a few dashes of dehydrated onion

Hope that you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment